Each beautiful Italian leather handbag, briefcase and wallet we sell at Brolero comes with a piece of true Italian heritage. The process used to prepare the hides used in the Italian leather products we sell is part of a centuries old tradition that hat has been handed down from father to son called vegetable tanning. There are various methods used to transform raw hides into the soft and durable leather as we know it.
The two main processes used today are chromium and vegetable tanning. Vegetable tanning is a more environmentally friendly method using the natural tannins found in trees and plants while chromium tanning uses chromium salts.
Each method has their advantages, but we prefer the benefits of vegetable tanning which include:
- Leather that has greater body and firmness
- Vegetable tanned leather can be recycled
- This age old tradition requires very skillful craftsman
- Vegetable tanned products are unique and will change throughout their life
- Colors that can be produced with vegetable tanning while limited are much richer and warmer tones
Brolero Italian leather – own a piece of tradition.